Story Behind the Weight
The challenge I am talking about is not the one I am facing after pregnancy but it’s a long-lost challenge which I should have kept working on but I have many reasons to counter how I was not able to keep a track of my weight gain.
I was always on the heavier side; 65 kg was my ideal weight throughout my school and college days. When I got the job and started working I gained about 3-5 kg which would keep fluctuating between 65-70 kg for 3-4 years. There was a time when I gained around 8 Kg in 6 months as my job required me to work 9-10 hours sitting at my desk and then I had to travel for 2 hours daily to reach the office, it was back in 2014. I left my job to take control of my life and lost those extra 8 kgs but that’s a different story for to be told some other time.
When I got married, I somehow gained 5 kg more, so once my pregnancy was detected I was at 75 kg.
And guess how much I gained during my 9 months, the horrible 15 kg. There was not a single day during those 9 months when I thought of eating sensibly and hence the result, 90 kg, and a cute little one!
But thanks to exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and still going well at 19 months, I lost 10 kg without any workout.
Now presently am at 83 kg, I gained 3 kg in last 3 months as I am spending a lot of my time sitting and working on my blog. But it’s never too late to realize what is going wrong with our bodies both inside and outside.
I was getting more and more lethargic, I feel like eating all the time and my body has started aching when I wake up in the morning. After bearing all those pregnancy and delivery pains, now I am not able to deal with these daily pains.
There is one more factor which contributes to my excess weight and that’s Hypothyroidism and PCOD.
So, keeping all the things in mind, I have set a goal of reducing 3 Kg in this month. I know this month is going to be full of challenges and struggles and to overcome that I am planning weekly what I want to achieve.
Week 1 is over, I started on Monday (Sep 4) with an hour of walk to give a kick start to my journey. That early morning walk was tiresome but my mind was feeling refreshed and it gave me a push to jump full swing into the workout routine from next day.
Walking- Day 1
- If you are someone who doesn’t want to complicate your workout then just stick to brisk walking for an hour daily, it is one of the easiest ways towards a healthy lifestyle and if you are able to maintain a walking routine then weight loss is also possible.
- Now to derive benefits from your regular walk you have to make a few changes in your walking style, keep the stomach in and shoulder and back straight and look at the front, not the ground. You should be aware of your body movements as well as breathing.
- 3 important points for any workout, Warm-up, Cool down and Stretching. Don’t start with brisk walk directly, rather start with 10 mins of regular walk to warm up your muscles and make your body ready for the brisk walk. Once you are near to complete the walk, slow down again for 5-10 mins which will cool down your body and then stretch your muscles.
- Keep a track of the steps you walk, or how many KM you cover daily. You will be surprised to see the change in these figures almost daily. You can use Google Fit, an app to track your daily steps and activities.
- If you missed a day then try to cover it up in next day or divide the time over the next few days or you can increase the frequency to cover up the lost 1 hour.
- This is also one of the best ways you can workout keeping your little one by your side. Just put your baby in the stroller or wear your baby in the sling and start walking.
Now that I am not a very big liker of walking and as it gets boring for me, and as mentioned in my earlier post, I have joined the Sports Complex for my weight loss journey and the first day I started with Swimming as that is my favorite sport of all and enjoy doing the most.
Swimming- Day 2
- This is my personal favorite as a workout sport. Swimming is known as a low-impact activity with many physical and mental health benefits.
- It is beneficial as with each stroke upper and lower body gets worked, it also works on the core muscles which become loose during pregnancy.
- The best thing about swimming is it helps in reducing weight, also strengthen the muscle and tone the body, you can swim freestyle and get the overall results.
- I started with 20 mins of easy strokes whichever I knew and at the end of the week, I am doing 40 mins of freestyle strokes with 5 mins of the total break in between.
- Swimming is also a good choice if you experience joint pains as it is quite light on joints but at the same time give you the benefits of Cardio as well as Strength training.
- Always start slow and don’t over exert your body even if you think swimming is an easy sport.
- One of the best benefits is it helps in reducing stress, yes just imagine the feeling of floating in the cool water, definitely, swimming has its own mood-boosting benefits.
- Lastly, with swimming chances of getting injuries is quite low as the water supports the whole body weight.
Walking and Swimming that’s how I started my 1st week of weight loss journey. These 2 days were like a warm-up session for the next coming days which will involve more vigorous workout sessions.
Have you started your weight loss journey or taken up any challenge to lose those extra kilos? Share with me, need to hear lots of motivational stories to keep my spirits high.
Do Subscribe to us if you like our posts and comment below to show some love.
I love my evening walks too! They help me clear my mind a lot.. not to mention the calories I burn!
Oh yes, sometimes just a walk can do wonders. 🙂
I would gladly take swimming as my workout if only there’s a nearby pool I could go everyday (for free).
I used to go the gym before I got pregnant with my second child. Now that I have already given birth, I think I would go back to the gym. But maybe in a year or so. XD
Its swimming for me too any day over anything. Good luck mumma! )
Hi Neha, good start…walking and swimming both are very good exercises. They work both ways as u said… mentally and physically.
Moreover i can share my experience with you. I was always in good shape till my pregnancy…during pregnancy i gained a lot, almost 15kg.. after delivery i was around 57-58 kg. I just waited for 1 year due to baby, and ofcourse gained more weight. Now from last one year, i have been practicing yoga, did lot of running, swimming and ofcourse done exercises and stretching. Now i can say that i have reduced fat from many parts but still there are some areas where i have to work. The only thing which i would recommend you is regularly doing your exercises whatever you choose and do not stress out your body. Everything will work in its own way, just do it ?. All the best
Thanks a lot Vineeta for sharing your story and awesome advice, will try to keep my spirits high 🙂
That’s great you are working towards a healthier life I have hypothyroidism and believe me I know losing weight is not easy … Love your determination I gained 20 kg during my pregnancy and losing that weight was a difficult task all the best
I know hypothyroidism makes this journey difficult, but have to keep going. Thanks for the wishes 🙂
Sailing in the same boat as you. Need to get some fitness on! Inspiring. Maybe I will follow you and start off some stretches as well!
Go Girl! All the best 🙂
Walking and Swimming both are quite effective. I tried walking regularly last month but with monsoon arriving, gave up. Just seeking some motivation now to resume.
You can do it Charu! Sending some motivational vibes to you 🙂
I have pcod too and always battled with my weight. I found a great dietician who helped me lose weight healthily and i lost 12 kgs in 4 months.
WOW….that’s great! Would like to know about that angel dietician 🙂
A great post ! I don’t know how to swim, but will take lessons once my baby is big enough to stay with his dad for sometime and I can go for classes 🙂
Thanks for stopping by Anchal, swimming is a great workout, do start with your swimming lessons, you will not regret it.
This post is really inspiring. I just started my health routine from today and reading your post ? that encourages me to stick to my routine in any case now! Thanks for sharing it
I am so glad to hear this Pranita, all the best to your workout routine.
Kudos to you for your determination and enthusiasm in loosing post-pregnancy weight. I like the way how you are sharing it with others. It is quite inspiring for other mums.
Thanks for finding my posts inspirational Neha 🙂
Thanks for sharing your story with us. PCOD makes it difficult and that can be your biggest reason. On the top of that Pregnancy makes it even worse but good to know you lost some pregnancy weight. All the best to you. 🙂
Oh yes, Pcod and hypothyroidism is what killing the results of workout but where there is a will there is a way… 🙂
Kudos to you for taking on this challenge and sharing about it openly too. I’m sure it will inspire others as well. Good luck on your journey.
Thanks a lot, Mehak, wishes means so much to me 🙂
You are inspiring momma and someone everyone can relate too. It’s all about becoming a healthier version of ourselves – weight is just a number. And I really like the tips you have given for walking and swimming. I used to swim when I was pregnant and I feel it really helped me. But have become very lazy about it now. But reading your swimming pointers makes me wanna get back into the pool! 🙂
Getting a super lovely comment from you means a lot to me Shubhreet, please do start your swimming again 🙂
Babes, you won’t believe but that is exactly the weight number I went through and still am. I just couldn’t believe that numbers are so similar to mine…. I tpo weight 82 or 83 KG at the moment… you gave me hope and I am definitely going to follow up on your posts.
Omg, I thought I am the only struggling with that weight figures. All the best to you Kavita, you can do it!
Congratulations on your weight loss journey. Its inspiring. I’ve recently started swimming and am hopeful for some weight loss.
Thanks, Manveen, all the best dear for your journey 🙂
Hats off to your motivating spirit…Truly an inspiring momma..Thanks for sharing it
Thanks for all the appreciation, means a lot 🙂