The challenge I am talking about is not the one I am facing after pregnancy but it’s a long lost challenge which I should have kept working on but I have many reasons to counter how I was not able to keep a track of my weight gain.
I was always on the heavier side; 65 kg was my ideal weight throughout my school and college days. When I got the job and started working I gained about 3-5 kg which would keep fluctuating between 65-70 kg for 3-4 years. There was a time when I gained around 8 Kg in 6 months as my job required me to work 9-10 hours sitting at my desk and then I had to travel for 2 hours daily to reach office, it was back in 2014
} I left my job to take control of my life and lost those extra 8 Kg but that’s a different story for to be told some other time.
When I got married, I somehow gained 5 kg more, so once my pregnancy was detected I was at 75 kg.
And guess how much I gained during my 9 months, the horrible 15 kg. There was not a single day during those 9 months when I thought of eating sensibly and hence the result, 90 kg and a cute little one!
But thanks to exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and still going good at 19 months, I lost 10 kg without any workout.
Now presently am at 83 kg, I gained 3 kg in last 3 months as I am spending a lot of my time sitting and working on my blog. But it’s never too late to realize what is going wrong with our bodies both inside and outside.
I was getting more and more lethargic, I feel like eating all the time and my body has started aching when I wake up in the morning. After bearing all those pregnancy and delivery pains, now I am not able to deal with these daily pains.
There is one more factor which contributes to my excess weight and that’s Hypothyroidism and PCOD.
So, keeping all the things in mind, I have set a goal of reducing 3 Kg in this month. I know this month is going to be full of challenges and struggles and to overcome that I am planning weekly what I want to achieve.
Week 1 is over, I started from Monday (Sep 4) with an hour of walk to give a kick start to my journey. That early morning walk was tiresome but my mind was feeling refreshed and it gave me a push to jump full swing into the workout routine from next day.
Walking- Day 1
- If you are someone who don’t want to complicate your workout then just stick to brisk walking for an hour daily, it is one of the easiest way towards a healthy lifestyle and if you are able to maintain a walking routine then weight loss is also possible.
- Now to derive benefits from your regular walk you have to make a few changes in your walking style, keep stomach in and shoulder and back straight and look at front not the ground. You should be aware of your body movements as well as breathing.
- 3 important points for any workout, Warm up, Cool down and Stretching. Don’t start with brisk walk directly, rather start with 10 mins of regular walk to warm up your muscles and make your body ready for the brisk walk. Once you are near to complete the walk, slow down again for 5-10 mins which will cool down your body and then stretch your muscles.
- Keep a track of the steps you walk, or how many KM you cover daily. You will be surprised to see the change in these figures almost daily. You can use Google Fit, an app to track you daily steps and activities.
- If you missed a day then try to cover it up in next day or divide the time over the next few days or you can increase the frequency to cover up the lost 1 hour.
- This is also one of the best ways you can workout keeping your little one by your side. Just put your baby in the stroller or wear your baby in the sling and start walking.
Now that I am not a very big liker of walking and as it gets boring for me, and as mentioned in my earlier post, I have joined the Sports Complex for my weight loss journey and the first day I started with Swimming as that is my favorite sport of all and enjoy doing the most.
Swimming- Day 2
- This is my personal favorite as a workout sport. Swimming is known as a low-impact activity with many physical and mental health benefits.
- It is beneficial as with each stroke upper and lower body gets worked, it also works on the core muscles which become loose during pregnancy.
- Best thing about swimming is it helps in reducing weight, also strengthen the muscle and tone the body, you can swim freestyle and get the overall results.
- I started with 20 mins of easy strokes whichever I knew and at the end of the week I am doing 40 mins of freestyle strokes with 5 mins of total break in between.
- Swimming is also a good choice if you experience joint pains as it is quite light on joints but at the same time give you the benefits of Cardio as well as Strength training.
- Always start slow and don’t over exert your body even if you think swimming is an easy sport.
- One of the best benefits is it helps in reducing stress, yes just imagine the feeling of floating in the cool water, definitely swimming has its own mood boosting benefits.
- Lastly, with swimming chances of getting injuries is quite low as the water supports the whole body weight.
Walking and Swimming that’s how I started my 1st week of weight loss journey. These 2 days were like a warm up session for the next coming days which will involve more vigorous workout sessions.
Have you started your weight loss journey or taken up any challenge to lose those extra kilos? Share with me, need to hear lots of motivational stories to keep my spirits high.
Do Subscribe to us if you like our posts and comment below to show some love.